School Shootings Rise In The U.S

School Shootings Rise In The U.S

Laila G., Staff Writer

The world keeps advancing in growth of technology, medicines, higher education and less poverty. Violence is also on the rise, mainly in the act of school shootings. The U.S struggles to have a better handle on guns/gun violence. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2020, 45,222 total gun deaths lead to the highest in the past decade, which is a 43% increase. In the past 14 years there have been 266 school shootings, which left 407 children and adults dead. If you were here last semester you would know we were put on lock down. For an hour we saw ourselves being in the same situation many other students around the U.S. encounter. But why should we as students fear going to school, fear of being harmed in a place that’s supposed to be safe?

Countless times we have been shut down by many Americans who own guns.  Who have children of their own. We don’t have to take away guns, but we should be able to regulate who can get one. Just 10 days ago a 6 year old child was taken into custody for shooting their teacher. We are now put in a position where we worry actual children can commit such heinous crimes as school shootings. Students and staff have the pending thought in the back of their minds, “Can it happen to me?”