The Student News Site of University High School Charter

The Wildcat

The Wildcat

The Wildcat

The Impact of IGOR
November 2, 2023
Uni Alumni
November 2, 2023

A Devastating Year for North Carolina State

North Carolina State had recently ended its 2022-2023 year , with a total of 14 student deaths in only one year. 7 of them were suicides, 2 overdoses, 4 from natural causes, and 1 from a car accident. As the deaths increased, the school continued to do nothing, giving the students no information or confirmation. Due to these actions, students on the campus did not have time to grieve, especially with finals towards the end of the year. The students have been very frustrated at the lack of communication from the school to the students about the frequent deaths. It has led a lot of them to assume the cause of death. They assigned wellness days, which are days given to students in order to destress and process the situation. However, teachers still continue to assign work over these days, not giving them a break. The school not addressing this situation has caused more students to undergo mental health issues. UNC professor and American Psychological Association chief science officer Mitch Prinstein states,  “Deaths of any kind could expose a community to the risk of a suicide cluster, where vulnerable community members begin to think more about or act on suicidal thoughts”.

Student mental health has deteriorated to the point where it is seen as common to have suicidal ideation at this age, leading many to not reach out for help. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “The rate of suicide has roughly increased in the United States over the last two decades. Despite a two-year decline in 2019 and 2020, the rate rose again in 2021, with one of the most significant year-over-year jumps for those aged 15-24.” Even when reaching out, faculty may believe it necessary to tell the parents of the kids. These parents might not believe in mental health, causing more stress and anxiety at home. However, in some situations it is necessary for parents to know as a safety precaution; making this topic controversial. There are cases where teachers tend to not be lenient when it comes to mental health, they don’t think about what students go through at home. Academics should not stress students to the point of suicidal ideation, let alone be constantly depressed, the education system needs to be fixed before it gets worse for future generations.