The Student News Site of University High School Charter

The Wildcat

The Wildcat

The Wildcat

The Impact of IGOR
November 2, 2023
Uni Alumni
November 2, 2023

Uni Alumni

Ms. Page

Earlier today, I had the pleasure of interviewing a University High School alumna, Ms. Jennifer Page.  I inquired about her previous educational experience and learned that she attended Uni High from 1988 to 1992. She is currently employed as an English teacher here at University High School.

Asking her opinion on whether or not Uni was the right fit for her, she responded with a resounding affirmation. She believed the diversity offered by Uni was the primary factor in her decision. She firmly believes that exposure to various cultures, ethnicities, and economic backgrounds is crucial in shaping one’s character. Having grown up in a racially diverse city and attended diverse schools, she has become a better person. Although she has worked in schools where everyone was of the same race and from the same neighborhood, she didn’t feel quite at home. In contrast, Uni feels like home to her.

When I inquired about changes at Uni, she shared that technology had been the most significant shift. Cell phones were not yet prevalent in those days, and beepers were the norm. Additionally, it was common for students to drive to school and showcase their vehicles in the student parking lot, which is now the location of the YMCA. Another notable difference was the absence of water bottles. Back then, her generation was not accustomed to such luxuries and relied on water fountains or waited until returning home to quench their thirst.

When asked whether she thought attending Uni was better in the past or present, she responded that she believes the class of ’92, her graduating year,  was the best year to go to Uni High .She expressed gratitude for growing up in a generation that didn’t rely on the internet, social media, or cell phones. The absence of these technologies allowed for a more connected and present community. Additionally, she noted that the music of the early ’90s, specifically the emergence of hip-hop artists such as A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Tupac, and Biggie, made it a golden age of music.