In the Dead of Night

William Z., Staff Writer

California might seem like the last place where you’d expect a blizzard, especially SoCal, but sometimes even Earth surprises itself. On Thursday, February 23rd, it started raining uncontrollably. Due to this rain, blackouts occurred in Hollywood and the Mid-City district of Los Angeles, where people waited for the rain to slowly leave. But unlike other rainy days in LA, that normally only last for one or two days, the recent storm lasted almost a week and a half, with signs of both continuing and surprising us more. In more upland areas like Rancho Cucamonga and the Inland Empire, where people are witnessing high levels of snowfall. Since our name is the Golden State, most people don’t exactly know how to handle snow, which leads to both fun (with unprecedented snowmen and snowy cacti) but also fear due to the freezing temperatures and high possibility of blackouts.

The last time Southern California expected levels of snow like this, was in 1989, where a blizzard warning was issued. At the time, almost a foot of snow was recorded. In this storm, almost around five feet of snow has been measured; and has even reached the actual metro area of Los Angeles. On Wednesday, March 1st, there was some observation of a snowy slush around areas of Echo Park. After this, students here at Uni did notice the brief minute of snowfall that graced the campus. While the Metro Los Angeles area isn’t cold enough to sustain snow, it is a testament to the power of this recent storm to even have some form of snowfall even fall in this area, especially since the maximum temperature currently as of writing this is predicted at 59°F.

The unpredictability of the weather is both a dream and a fear to some, but it is interesting to not only watch, but to live within this moment of history.