Historical day at a Historical Monument

Historical day at a Historical Monument

Shani P., Staff Writer

May 12, 2023

Students gathered early in the morning. The excitement was hard to miss as laughter and cheerful conversations filled the front of the school. Many students mentioned that this would be their first field trip in years or their first time at Olvera Street. On the bus, chaperones explained the activities they’d engage in for the chance to win prizes which included a scavenger hunt and a game of Loteria! Most began roaming around trying to familiarize themselves with the small shops and the truly remarkable Mexican artisanal crafts. Besides the terrifyingly large, inexplicable, and gruesome candle, I caught sight of, all the items were huge temptations to purchase. The most coveted items included incense, mini food sculptures, bubble blowers, and confetti eggs. Not to mention the delicious food and beverages! Students crowded around Mr. Churro for antojitos while some teachers and staff had lunch at El Paseo Inn.

The day went magnificently as all students remained settled and took advantage of the trip to put assignments aside and focus on taking in the beauty and uniqueness of this historical site. Mr. Barragan, our amazing Spanish teacher and one of the organizers of the field trip stated, “Students behaved INCREDIBLY well, which really caught my attention. Many of our students had never been to Plaza Olvera. Como? No entiendo! (How? I do not understand!) Some students mentioned the last time they went on a field trip was elementary school.” He also recalled Mr. Adam’s  statement that “We should have a school-wide field trip day, where all students go somewhere.”