LAUSD’s Ransomware Attack

LAUSD’s Ransomware Attack

Shani P., Staff Writer

Students and staff are first-hand witnesses of the struggles faced by the Los Angeles School District. From internet issues to late buses, classrooms are disrupted on a regular basis, with teachers trying to maintain a peaceful and concentrated classroom setting. Now, these issues have become a norm, with students learning to work around them without support outside the classroom.

However, a recent ransomware attack destroyed any remaining harmony. This kind of cyberattack consists of an external organization or criminal that encrypts malicious software into the desired system with the intention of receiving large sums of money. They usually threaten to block or publish data if the victim/s fails to pay by the deadline.  Teachers broke into a panic as access to websites such as “Schoology”, and “Google Docs” was denied due to passwords being compromised. Most teachers completely lost control of their schedules with daily warm-ups, assignments, and grades being locked away. Mr. Eisner, an English teacher at University High School states: “The ransomware attack on LAUSD has been one of the most disruptive and unfortunate events of my career, testing the resilience of students and educators alike, and offering us perspective on society’s continuing reliance upon the internet as a necessary mechanism of instruction.” Students soon confronted this horrific reality, with assignments and essays being lost. Tears formed in the eyes of straight-A students, who resorted to emailing teachers to excuse a problem completely out of their control. Hours were spent reloading screen days on end, with teachers being forced to print out copies of various assignments. 

The cause of the attack is still unknown as well as the long-term repercussions. A week later and some students continue to be locked from their accounts forcing teachers to postpone quizzes and search for alternative assignments.