Field Trips, the reward we all deserve

Field Trips, the reward we all deserve

Shani P., Staff Writer

Recently, students and a handful of teachers were given a school day outside Uni’s gates to visit various college campuses. On the latest upperclassmen field trip hosted by Avid, students headed to San Diego State University and Cal State University San Marcos. I interviewed the active Avid and magnet club participant Alina Lewis to receive her perspective on the subject.

On February 22, their journey began early in the morning. Upon their arrival on the campus, students were split into groups with chaperones based on their majors. This dynamic encouraged students to interact with peers they shared a common interest with. Alina said this made the trip more enjoyable as she connected with past friends.  When asked about a memorable moment, Alina instantly lit up as she remembered Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill and trying their “life-changing” burrito. Pleasurable moments like these mark students’ lives far more than any textbook material and shape unforgettable memories. For those wondering about the environment, Alina believes everyone remained respectful throughout the trip, especially in the extremely windy weather. Her experience proves taking a day off of regular instruction is more than worth it as it solely offers positivity. Field trips change up students’ routines and expose them to different lives. It allows for hands-on learning, which provides a better understanding of adulthood and the reality of college life. Juniors, in specific, were provided with more options for future college applications according to what they have to offer. However,  Alina believes Uni should offer more college field trips to lower grade levels because they are necessary wake-up calls for students to take their future seriously.